Tuesday, May 8, 2007

The Holy Rimonover Rebbes Yartzeit!! Hey, better late than never!!!

Yesterday, the 19th of Iyar, is the yahrzeit of Rebbe Menachem Mendel of Riminov, one of the pivotal figures in the Chassidic world. As a young man he studied Torah and Chassidus under the illustrious Rebbe Shmelke of Nikolsburg, and the Rebbe Reb Elimelech of Lizhensk, together with two of his friends - two other future Chassidic masters, the Chozeh of Lublin and the Maggid of Kozhnitz.
It happened once that R. Menachem Mendel begged before G-d to help him attain a higher spiritual level, and in a dream, the Rif instructed him to go to Lizhensk to the Rebbe Reb Elimelech, where he would merit his spiritual desire [see, however, an alternative story below].
Among his disciples were such outstanding Chassidic leaders as Rebbe Naftali of Ropshitz and Rebbe Tzvi Elimelech of Dinov [the Bnei Yissaschar] and, of course, Rebbe Tzvi Hersh M’shareis of Riminov.e following is a modified transcription of a story that Reb Shlomo Carlebach told one Rosh Chodesh:

Sometime ago, I had the privilege to say Hallel on Rosh Chodesh in a prison - a heavy prison. Nebich, [oy, "how unfortunate"] there were young Jewish people, young chevra 22 and 23 [years old] - a lifetime! So here I tell them about Hallel, I look at their faces – nebich! How can I ask them to say Hallel? So I told them this story, I heard it from the heiliger (holy) Bobover (Rebbe). You know, there are a lot of versions of why the parents of Rebbe Menachem Mendel of Riminov had the privilege of having such a holy son. And this is one version

Chassidim of the Rebbe Reb Elimelech were on their way to Lizhensk. They passed by a broken house in a village, where they saw a little boy of nine [years old] standing on a broken balcony and mamash [really] dancing like crazy. So they asked him, "Why are you dancing?"
"I’m dancing because I haven't eaten in three days."
"You haven't eaten in three days, and you’re dancing?"
He said, "I'll tell you the truth, I was standing here, I'm nine years old, and I was so angry at G-d. Gevalt was I angry. I said, 'Master of the World, I’m only nine years old. How many aveiros, how many mistakes could I have made in my life? Do I deserve not to eat for three days?' Then suddenly I realized, it's true, G-d hasn't fed me yet for three days, but Baruch Hashem [thank G-d] I have a father, I have a mother, I have a brother and a sister. It’s true our house is not so big, and it's broken - but it’s still a little house. Suddenly it occurred to me - I never thank G-d for what I [do] have. So [that's why] I’m dancing!"

The Chassidim walked in to (talk to) the parents and said, "Do you know what kind of son you have?? What kind of gevaldig neshama [lofty soul]? Are you sending him to cheder [school]?"
They said, "We’re too poor to send him to cheder."
The Chassidim said, “Such a great soul. Please let us take him to our Rebbe, Reb Elimelech."
This boy eventually became the great Rebbe, Menachem Mendel of Riminov.

Reb Shlomo continued: So I told this to our brothers in prison. "I’m sure you have many reasons to be angry at G-d, and I have no excuses for Him. I wish - I bless you to come out fast. But maybe in the meantime, let’s just dance and thank Him for what we have!!!"
*
Zechuso yagein Aleinu - May the Riminover's merits protect us!
Quoted from http://heichalhanegina.blogspot.com Great blog!!
peace & joy,
Etan

No comments: