Sunday, September 30, 2012

Ha'azinu - Why do I bother? No one reads, no one listens!

So I've been writing this blog for how long? And I start, and then I stop, then I start, then I stop, but who really cares? Who reads it? Who listens? Who cares? Why do I bother? Why do I take time away from helping my wife? Why do I take time away that I can be spending with my kids, time that I can be learning, catching up on all the learning that I haven't done all of these years? After all in a few days I'll be turning 35. 35 is half of 70! What do I have to show for all those years? How much learning did I do? How much good did I accomplish? Ok, I have a beautiful wife and the 2 best kids in the world. I have a great family, great friends. I have the zechus of living in the Holy Land thanks to Hashem! But what have I given back? What have I done for Hashem? And then I remember all those speeches, shmoozes that I heard throughout the years that start with "I'm speaking to myself, if you want to listen feel free..." and it also reminded me of the famous story of the Rabbi who wanted to change the world and eventually settled with maybe being able to change himself. And so I say, who cares if no one reads, if no one listens?!?! I'm writing for myself! They say that by writing something down it goes in more, it makes more of an impression on the writer. Maybe I'll be able to change myself even if just a little bit, become somewhat of a better person, a better husband, a better father, a better son, a better brother, a better friend, a better Jew? Maybe, just maybe and maybe thats what I could give back to Hashem for all the good that He's done for me throughout the years that I totally don't deserve? So I will keep on writing I will try to be consistent and not stop again. I will stop looking at the stats, because I'm not selling anything anyway, so who cares! 

Ok got that off my chest, now lets get back to business. 

Ha'azinu: "Let the heavens hear, and I will speak. Let the earth hear the words of my mouth Devarim 32:1

So we've listened to the words of God (Devarim). We've prayed for success in our endeavors (Vaeschanan). We've dug our heels in for the constant battle that we must fight in the name of God (Eikev). We've been given a choice blessing or curse, if we choose correctly we can merit to seeing God in His glorious home the Beis Hamikdash (Re'eh). We've set up systems of community etc. (Shoftim). We've gone out to fight the war of God (Ke Teitzei). We've brought our A game and where therefore invited into the House of God (Ki Tavo). We were able to stand up tall and proud because God has our back (Nitzavim). We keep going up no matter what! (Va'yeilech). And so now that we've done all of this we can control nature we can speak to the heavens and the earth and they will listen to us because we come in the name of Hashem, in the name of God! We fight for Him! When the midrashim speak about the 12 tribes leaping from one mountain to to the next, they are speaking literally, they were on such a high level, they were so close to God that they were able to manipulate nature. We aren't anywhere close to their level but if we do our best we can start manipulating nature etc. on our own levels. And we're not even done! The Blessing is yet to come. 

Be happy! Enjoy! Those are the commandments of these days! So lets go out there and do that!    

No comments: